I specialize in individual psychotherapy for adults ages 18 and above. The issues I have worked with individuals most frequently are: navigating life transitions; parenting; improving communication and boundaries in relationships; and healing from trauma.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long and how often are therapy sessions?
- First sessions are typically 60 minutes, and all following sessions are 45-50 minutes. Typically, clients begin with weekly sessions, but you set the pace! Some clients prefer to be seen biweekly or begin weekly and then space sessions out later on.
I’ve never been to therapy before. What are sessions like?
- We’ll usually begin with a check-in, where we might discuss your current mood and anything new or pressing that happened during the past week. The bulk of the session will be spent discussing what brought you to therapy! We’ll refer back to goals that you set during our first session to keep us on track. If we’re doing EMDR to work through a past event, that will take the majority of the session (click here to learn about EMDR). The session may also include a guided meditation or relaxation exercise if we’re working on managing anxiety or stress. The last 5-10 minutes of a session may include discussing what went well that session, goals for the coming week and/or scheduling future sessions.
How long do people generally go to therapy?
- There is no stock answer here- it truly depends on the individual and what s/he is working toward. If possible, my recommendation is to allow at least 6 weeks to see progress or to reach a goal.
Where are you located?
- Geldon Counseling is located in the North Bethesda/Rockville area and is walkable from White Flint Metro Station. There is plenty of free, on-site parking.
How do I pay for therapy?
- I am an out-of-network provider and can provide paperwork for you to submit to your insurance company (please let me know if you would like a list of questions to ask your insurance company before starting therapy). I currently accept cash or check, and sessions are $135 (EMDR sessions are charged at the same rate.)
What if I need to cancel an appointment?
- Please call 202-838-7067 to cancel an appointment at least 24 hours in advance.